Saturday, August 13, 2011

Explorer

As of 8am this morning, the Explorer is back!  Jerry walked into the DMV and got the darn thing registered and licensed.  It's been a long road with the Explorer and it started long before our January accident.  I'm so glad that we are back to being a two-car family. . . it's been about 3 years since we've had two legal, working vehicles.

The Explorer has failed inspection two re-registration years in a row {making it four years in total}.  The first time it failed we were able to find someone to pass it under the table.  I know, it sounds really bad but it's what we had to do at the time.  And the only reason why it failed was because it squeaked. . . No one could figure out the squeaking.  And believe me, lots of friends looked at it.  And no amount of WD-40 was making the squeaking stop. 

Just before the accident the Explorer failed inspection again.  This time the squeaking was so bad, no one would pass it.  However, in taking it to a million inspection stations we were able to find out what the squeaking was.  But before we could fix it, the accident happened.  And since it was our only working  vehicle, we spent our time and money into getting another reliable, fuel friendly family car.

Six months later, I get a new job offer and one that *almost* requires us to have two vehicles.  Otherwise, our Sundays and Mondays would look like this:
  • 3:00am - Mommy up to get ready for work and get three kids in the car.
  • 3:15am - Out the door, taking the kids to my sister-in-laws house.
  • 3:30am - Drop the kids off at my sister-in-laws house and get myself to work.
  • 4:00am - I have to be art work.
  • 5:30am - Jerry gets off of work and goes to pick up the kids.
  • Jerry sleeps while watching the kids - and on Monday gets Chloe on and off the school bus.
  • 3:30pm - Jerry and the kids come to work and get me.
  • 5:00pm - Kids and I take Jerry to work.
  • . . . Repeat.
Poor Jerry.  Now he doesn't have to worry about getting me from work and I don't have to worry about taking him to work.  I know it looks like a demanding schedule and that will be our life on Sunday and Monday.  Saturday morning the kids don't have to go to the sitters because Jerry is home and doesn't go into work until after I come home.  Our days will overlap Sunday and Monday morning.  And my work week is over at 3:30pm on Monday, so Jerry is able to sleep Tuesday once he gets home.  And as long as I get car seats for the Explorer, the cars are interchangeable.  No one will be stuck at home with the kids and able to get to and from work without depending on the other.

And the only difference between our new schedule and our schedule now is Saturday and Sunday will be crazy instead of Monday and Tuesday.  Then with the new schedule I have FOUR days OFF with my husband & kids {even though the kids are in school}.  Which opens up the possibility of class parties, field trips and classroom Mom!  I'm so totally stoked about that!  I'm finally going to get to be a mom who is home when the kids get on and off the bus.  :-)

So getting back on track - Jerry spent the last couple weeks fixing and replacing the driver's side door, mirror and window.  And changed out the ball joints on the driver's side, which amazingly stop all squeaking!  It was a lot of work and sweaty days for him, but in the end he did it.  Thursday evening after I got home from work we took the Explorer in for an inspection. . . with fingers cross and nervous hearts outside. . . the Explorer passed on it's first try!  We were so happy and Jerry was totally proud of himself {as he should be}!  I don't think he slept much Thursday night because he was up bright and early.  I think he just wanted to license it before anyone could change their minds!  :-)

And a few hours after Jerry left for work today I noticed that he took to the Explorer instead of the Freestyle.  :-)  That's how proud he is of his hard work.  And as proud as he is of himself, I am even prouder of him!  He worked his tail off to make things easier for us, which in turn takes away one more fear I had about taking and starting the new job at the Distribution Center.

I ♥ you Jerry!!  You did an awesome job fixing the Explorer!

0 comments: