Sunday, May 29, 2011

Missouri Tornados

In the wake of these horrible tornado hitting the State of Missouri hard, I feel the need to blog.  The days that followed the horrific devastation in hit Joplin, MO were stressful.  Our weather was horrible, warning after watch, watch after warning.  Everyone fast to jump the gun, taking absolutely NO chances. 

Wednesday, May 25th - Raymore/Belton tornado sirens went off - putting my Walmart under a "Code Black".  I, along with about 50 employees and a hundred customers took shelter in the back hallway of Walmart.  I called Jerry, in a moment of comic relief, I let him know if the building caved in, start in the back, that's where we all would be.  We sent our love to each other and he promised he and the boys were just fine, them too taking cover with because of the tornado sirens.  (Sad to say now, that I didn't even think twice of Chloe.  I knew she was in school and that she was in great hands.  I had to trust they were taking cover too.)

I am one of five department managers that carry a management walkie with an earpiece.  Listening to management, trained tornado chasers and law enforcement during the Code Black was eerie.  Behind our store 2 funnel clouds flirted in the skies.  Neither daring to touch down - Thank God!  90 minutes later the storm had passed, back to business as usual.

Checking my phone, I knew that the rumors were that the storm had touched down outside Harrisonville - where?  South west of Harrisonville.  I live 9 miles south west of Harrisonville.  I once again called Jerry, he and the boys were fine.  Nothing happened in our part of town - that he knew of. 

Chloe's school left me a voice mail saying that the school was under a Tornado Warning and all kids were safely secured inside the building.  Why would the school call to tell me that?  I wasn't sure, but I was grateful.  Set my mind at ease.  Then came the rumor of a tornado touch down in Louisburg, Kansas - 7 miles west of Chloe's school.  No one knew the details.  Looking back, I am glad that I didn't know about the touchdown when it happened.  I didn't find out until afterwards and by then the school had already left it's message.  I would have been a complete mess waiting for details of the tornado, worrying about my baby girl.

The school called again at 3:10pm letting us know that the kids were coming home on their normal routes.  When Chloe got home, we were waiting. . . she was perfectly fine.  The school had done such a good job of taking care of the kids. . . Chloe didn't even know anything happened.  She told us is was a play day and they got to hangout in the girls locker room.  They gave them ice cold bottled water and they sat and sang songs and had fun telling stories.  I am so thankful to them!  They did not cause any fear in the weather and to what was happening around them.  I am so grateful to the school for their actions in taking care of the kids without scaring them AND keeping us parents informed!

Our scary skies as the storm passed over us and headed for Sedalia.

Wednesday also brought a powerful tornado to Sedalia, which grew to about three-quarters of a mile wide, did millions of dollars in damage. The tornado first touched down about one mile south of the city limits along U.S. Highway 65, then tracked in a northeasterly direction, taking out businesses along U.S. 65 and causing extensive damage to trailer parks and residential neighborhoods in a half-mile radius.  The tornado gained in intensity as it traveled northeast through Sedalia, absorbing a second funnel that had developed and eventually growing to about three-quarters of a mile wide as it crossed U.S. 50 Highway. Sedalia School District 200's bus barn “took a direct hit” and that at least 25 buses were damaged. The state’s Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is allowing the district to cancel the rest of the school year.

Amanda, Jeremy, Carter and Mom were all in Sedalia when the storm hit.  Mom was at Walmart (also under a Code Black) and Amanda, Jeremy and Carter took shelter at Jeremy's parents house.   Dad, Joanna, and Caleb were in Cole Camp - as far as I know, they just got a little bit of hail.

Two very close calls for this family.  I am grateful for everything I have!  And I am so happy that everyone in my family is okay!!  Praying for those who lost everything, including loved ones.

0 comments: