Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cord Blood Banking

I know this is probably a touchy subject to some people but I am going to go ahead and discuss it.  Because the hospital that I am delivering at gave us an option and a few things to think about.

Some background education:  Cord blood cells are not cures, but they can help the body heal—from leukemia, sickle-cell anemia, and Severe Combined Immune Deficiency, among many diseases and disorders. Cord blood has all the right ingredients for regenerating the body: red blood cells, white cells, and platelets. But it’s the way these cells are deployed in the body that makes them so valuable. Cord blood cells are a bit like chameleons: They become what they need to be. Most cells in our bodies are assigned a specific role. A skin cell is a skin cell, for instance, and a muscle cell is a muscle cell.

Throughout my entire pregnancy, I have been getting flyer's and flyer's in the mail from companies that want you to bank the cord blood of your child.  The Cord Blood Registry® is the most heard of to me and they send me stuff all the time.  Their slogan is "Recommended by Ob-Gyns over all other cord blood banks".  And ironical my doctor does not recommend using a service like this.  Because the cord blood is never tested to make sure it is usable and disease free before it is stored.  And quite frankly, Jerry and I never discussed banking Chloe or Jacob's cord blood because when something comes with a "Pricing and Payment Plans" that offers several "first-year fees" and "Storage Fees Options" - it normally isn't something you can afford, especially when having a new baby!!  (And just for those who are curious, the first year fee for just the lowest option of cord blood banking is $2,195.  Plus another $125 every year for storage fees!!)  And honestly, I understand that the cord blood is awesome and can do amazing things but how many people actually use it. . . sounds more of a gimmick that anything. 

Now with all that being said - the hospital that I am delivering at has their own Cord Blood Program.  And instead of being stored somewhere just waiting for your child or family member to need it, this program makes it available to anyone, anywhere in the world who needs it.  And the best thing is if I choose to donate the Cord Blood it is completely free, easy, and painless!  So here I sit reading over the packet of information that the hospital gave me - thinking it all over. 

Positive Points (and yes, I realize they are positive for both the private and donation banking options)
  • This blood is the extra blood that is normally discarded after the birth of baby.
  • Entire process is non-invasive, painless, and does not interfere with the birthing process.
  • After collection tests will determine if blood meets the criteria for being processed, stored, and made available for patient use.  If the criteria are not met, the blood will be used for research.
  • When your child's cord blood is identified match for a patient any time in the future, a phone call is made to check on the health status of your child and the family.
  • The blood is tested for abnormal hemoglobin and abnormal test results will be reported to my obgyn or the child's pediatrician.
Honestly, it doesn't sound bad at all . . . I really haven't found any negatives in donating the cord blood.  Has any of my "mommy" friends donated the cord blood of their child?  If anyone has an opinion for or against Cord Blood Donation I'd love to hear them.  Just remember, everyone is entitled to an opinion and please respect every ones.  :o)

0 comments: