Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tour of Labor & Delivery

This morning's tour of the labor and delivery center was awesome.  Jerry and I really liked the Maternity Center -- it's going to be a lot like the experience we had with Chloe.  The Maternity Care Coordinator answered a lot of our questions and concerns.  In fact she even took the time to talk with Chloe and Jacob and answer any questions they had.  The Maternity Center is a full lock down unit and all visitors are buzzed in before the elevator even moves.  The babies are monitored with ankle bracelets that will put the unit into full lock down mode if the baby gets too close to an exit or if the ankle bracelet is removed.  A full lock down means that no one enters or exits - this includes the doctor's and nurses.  So even if someone steals there badge and has their access codes, it will not do any good because they cannot override the system until all babies are accounted for / away from an exits / ankle bracelets re-attached. 

Visiting hours are from 9am until 9pm, only exception is going to be the morning of delivery.  Visitors will be asked to provide the full name of the patient they are visiting (ME!!) and sign in and out of the log book at the front desk.  Entrances and exits to and from the unit must be kept to a minimum for the safety of the patients. Visitors are allowed in to see Mom before the c-section or during active labor and are allowed in to visit Mom and Baby shortly after the first hour of life.  The waiting room is stocked with vending machines, coffee, TV, chairs, and couches. . . and as Chloe nicely pointed out - there are no toys.  So note to self - pack Chloe and Jacob a hospital bag too!! 
Mothers stay in one room for labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum.  For me, the only exception will be during the actual c-section surgery, where I will be in the Operating Room.  Just like with the birth of Chloe, the baby and Jerry will stay in the operating room while I am getting closed back up.  (No one's able to cuddle and hug on him in the nursery before me!!  Sorry Grandma and Grandpa and Aunts!  I'm first this time!!)  All tests and weighing of the baby will be done in the operating room.  And the hospital says it's okay to have a camera in the operating room - as long as it's okay with my doctor.  Then once the operation is over, Mommy and Baby are wheeled out on the same bed to their private room.  Once back at the room, as long as Mommy and Baby are doing fine, the baby's first hour after birth is spent with just Mom and Dad.  No visitors will be allowed in until after the first hour of mom's recovery time and baby's transitional hour.  The hospital staff also respects the first hour of life and if more tests or things are needing to be complete - they too will wait until after the first hour. 

All of the labor rooms are private and have a hospital bed for mom, a pull out couch for Daddy, a desk, 2 flat screen TVs, private bathrooms with whirlpool tubs, and free WIFI!!  (Which means I'm going to have access to the Internet and cell phone!!  :o)  So happy!)  The nursery is available for baby, but rooming-in will occur.  Baby will remain in the mother's room; unless specific tests need to be performed in the nursery or the mother requests the baby to be taken to the nursery.  If for some reason, the baby is admitted to the NICU, Chloe and Jacob would not be allowed in the NICU.  However, the Maternity Coordinator did stay that if the hospital were to go on lock down because of the flu pandemic - like last year - Chloe and Jacob would still be able to visit me in the Maternity Center; however, other children under the age of 12 would not be able to visit.  Which is nice to know, MY kids can visit!!  And of course, any visitor that presents with flu-like symptoms will not be permitted into the unit.  So if your sick, you must stay home.
We also went over a list of pediatricians that have affiliations with the hospital and can come in to see the baby and do the circumcising.  Because my pediatrician is in Harrisonville, I need to have one that can practice in the hospital.  Then once we leave I can take the baby to our pediatrician in Harrisonville.  I expressed my concerns with the spinal block with scoliosis and having the spinal headache with the blood patch during my hospital stay with Chloe - I don't want no scares like last time, when they recommended I not have one at the very last second with Jacob.  I want one, I at least want them to try - if they can't after a time or two then fine knock me out but I want them to try, it's worked twice before and I have no doubt they can't do it again.  I also wanted to make sure they will have me walk around after the c-section but before I leave the hospital.  The first walk I took after having Jacob was to the car!  Don't want that again. . . I need to be able to walk once I get home - especially with three kids to take care of!!  And finally, as long as everything is good with me and baby, we will be released from the hospital Monday morning.  It's a mandatory 3 night stay.

Other than all the talking and touring of the Maternity Center, I filled out all paperwork and registration forms giving Jerry rights to my medical decisions (and baby's) if I am unable to do so.  Overall it was a nice visit and since I practically threatened the kids - they behaved very well!  Now all we can do is wait. . . wait for baby to make an appearance!!

0 comments: