Monday, December 13, 2010

Croup :o(

So I called in to work today and I'm sure I'll hear about it tomorrow, but my babies really needed to see a doctor.  Chloe and I were still up at 4:30 this morning when Daddy come home from work.  She just could not stop coughing, which made her cry, which upset me because there was nothing I could do to help her!!  I was about ready to wrap her up and throw her in the car and head to Children's Mercy, when she passed out cold, snoring away!  Her snoring was a beautiful sound, it was like a lullaby for me to sleep!

I got up a few hours later, mainly to call in to work and to check when the doctor's office opened.  I really wanted for them to see their pediatrician but I also know sometimes it's hard to be seem the same day.  I always have my back up of the Walgreen's Take Care Clinic. . . which we've used before and loved.  I like that they are open late and accept our insurance!  Either way both places opened at 8am.  And I already had a WIC appointment scheduled for 9am this morning.  SO at 8:03 this morning, I had the the doctor's office on the phone to find out if they have an opening today.  And ta-da!!  They could see both kids at 10:40am - I'll take it!! 

So I let them sleep in while I ran into town for my WIC appointment.  It was fast and boring and sometimes so not worth the trip, but now I'm done with appointments until the baby is born.  As I was leaving the Health Department I noticed a sign they had hanging, saying that they still had flu-shots available for pregnant women.  I turned around and went back in to ask about them.  Because as long as it's been on my list of things to get, I haven't actually gotten it yet!  *Bad Mommy!*  They had some available for $10 and I didn't have to wait. . . they were ready for me now. . . even better!!  While they were giving me the shot I asked if they had shots available for 3-year-olds because now Jacob's the only one without one.  And they said they did and I could bring him by in a couple of hours after our doctor's appointment without an immunization appointment.  *Jackpot!*  I totally lucked out!

I ran home to get the kids up and dressed and ready to get out in the absolutely freezing temperatures!!  The doctor's office was ready for us when we got there.  Chloe weighed in at a whopping 41 pounds and Jacob weighed in just behind her at 32 pounds!  The doctor checked them over, listened to their breathing and went through all the scenarios - cold, sinuses, infection, weather, furnace, etc. . . then Chloe started coughing.  She started coughing the horrible barking (reminds you of a seal), deep rooted nastiness that we fought last night.  Doctor said one word - Croup. 

I didn't know a whole lot about Croup, so here's what the doctor told me (& what I could remember!), with a little help from Webmd.  Croup is common in young children.  It tends to occur in the fall and winter.  Its main symptom is a harsh, barking cough.  Croup causes swelling and narrowing in the voice box, windpipe, and breathing tubes that lead to the lungs.  Which can make it hard for the child to breathe.  He let me know that a croup attack can be scary, but it is rarely serious.  Children usually get better in several days with rest and care at home.  But it has been known to upgrade to pneumonia (which is why we are taking an aggressive approach to treating it!!).  Croup is usually caused by the same viruses that cause the common cold and it is contagious.  Symptoms of croup often improve during the day and get worse at night. Sometimes children have croup attacks that wake them up in the middle of the night for a couple of nights in a row, but the illness usually improves gradually in 2 to 5 days (I can't wait 5 days!!).

So both kids left the doctor's office with a prescription for a Steroid (Prednisone), a Narcotic pain reliever (Tylenol with Codeine) and an Antibiotic.  If it's not better in 3-5 days, the next step is chest x-rays. . . Poor babies! :o(  So off to Walmart we went to fill their prescriptions (well, technically we went by the Health Dept for Jacob's flu shot first). . . thank goodness for the $4 Prescriptions because each kid had 3 each!!  The pharmacy wasn't busy so it didn't take too long but they only had enough of the Tylenol with Codeine for one child.  More comes in tomorrow, so they will have it ready for me to pick up tomorrow evening.  And since Chloe started her antibiotic today she can return to school tomorrow. . .hopefully, after a GOOD nights sleep for ALL of us! 


Hopefully, everyone is on the mend here.  I guess I'll let you know in a few days!!

0 comments: