Saturday, December 4, 2010

Making time for me!!

Happy December Everyone!  Are we all ready for the Christmas Season?  Ready or Not here it comes, fast and furious.  I love Christmas time because of my children!  I hate the busyness and stressfulness that comes along with the holidays, but it's all worth it when you take a chance and look at what the season means.  Sometimes I loose sight of the real reason and fall into the retail side of it all.  But this year, as stressful as it has been, I'm taking the time to reflect on the season!  And it starts now.  I work for a huge retailer and for the most part, I am a warm body that takes orders to achieve whatever master plan the company has in sight. . . and truthfully, that's the bottom line.  Every one's out to make money.  And one way they make it is by paying less people to do more work.  And since I'm solely in charge of Toys, a lot falls on my shoulders - regardless of customer traffic, customer service, phone calls, meal breaks, etc. . . I (alone) am to get everything accomplished in 8 hours that management (normally in pairs) can't even accomplish in 10 hours - no excuses!  So after a crazy, busy, stressful week. . . next week I am only working 3 days.  I took vacation hours for Thursday and Friday (giving me a 4 day weekend!) - not because I need a vacation, but because I deserve to spend time with my family and get my Christmas shopping done before Christmas Eve this year!  I am so worn out by the end of the work day that I don't even have the energy to shop for Christmas.  So Jerry and I have BIG plans this weekend to finish up our shopping lists!  (And for all those wondering, my (brand-new, fresh-out-of-school assistant manager approved my vacation and didn't schedule me hours on those days; however, upper management is trying to take them back.  They say they need me there. . . I say, my family needs me here!!!  My foot is down, it is my long weekend.. . Management is just going to have to help out!)

Today, Jerry and I took the kids into Walmart (against my better judgement - I spent all week there and even worked overtime!!) to see Santa Claus.  Truthfully, I hadn't planned on taking them in to see Santa but a friend of mine, who was Santa last year and wrote a note to Chloe for me to leave under the tree Christmas Eve last year, was playing Santa again this year!  He was really looking forward to seeing her again this year so Chloe colored another picture for Santa and off to Walmart we went!  She was so excited, she hoped that Santa would remember her from last year!  And of course, he did!!  He knew her name and he even knew what she wanted for Christmas without her telling him!!  (Wow! What a Santa Claus!  It was magic in Chloe's eyes.)  With all the hours I work during the holidays, it helps when she is sad that Mommy isn't home a lot, to be able to say, "I've been helping Santa".  Then when Santa confirms what I've been telling her, it's special.  One of these day's I'm sure she's going to be mad at me for lying but for now it's all about believing, and when the picture she gave Santa today is waiting by an empty plate of Christmas cookies and milk with a special note from Santa Christmas morning - Chloe's a believer!!

While we were at Walmart today, they were having a toy demo in the Christmas shop, where the toys were out of the packages, fully operational and the kids (& parents) were able to play with them.  Chloe absolutely fell in love with Go-Go the Walkin' Pup and Jacob liked the Nerf Stampede gun so much he asked Santa for it right then and there!  (I came home to search online to see if I can find those toys cheaper than Walmart, because they are both $40+.  I found out no one sells them cheaper AND I found a $5.00 off coupon for each of them on Hasbro's website!!  Score!  Adding them to the list of gifts we are shopping for on Thursday!!)  After playing around with the toys and seeing Santa, we picked up a few groceries and came back home to watch a movie together as a family while we ate lunch.  Daddy will be working and sleeping all weekend so it's nice to be able to spend time together as a family!

I've been spending the rest of the day on the computer, doing laundry, or resting on the couch.  I know, it sounds SO lazy and I get so upset at myself come dinner time when I feed the kids sandwiches, cereal, corn dogs, or anything else super simple for being so lazy.  But honestly, I know my body NEEDS the rest.  I literally hurt so bad sometimes, I just lay there and cry because I want something stronger than a Tylenol to take away my pains.  But I'm sure that's another blog!  I'm taking care of me first, because the better I feel the better I am able to take care of and spend time with my family!  The kids will not remember that I was a lazy bum for a few months, they will remember that I was taking care of me so that my body can grow a baby brother for them to love on!  And thankfully, that day is coming so fast!!  4 weeks and 6 days left. . . I can do this!!!

0 comments: